Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] question about sniffing wireless IPOD conversations

From: Kevin Cullimore <kcullimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:35:27 -0500
On 1/20/2012 1:41 AM, Guy Harris wrote:
On Jan 19, 2012, at 5:01 PM, John S wrote:

after reading the wireless capture setup, I think the problem is that I'm running Wireshark on Windows XP and this apparently doesn't work well when sniffing other machine's traffic in a wireless network environment.

Has anyone found a way to do this?
Sometimes, an extra word or two can greatly enhance the focus of a given question:

"Has anyone found a FREE/trivially-inexpensive way to do this?"

The challenge of clarifying "this" might pose a greater challenge:

If "this" refers to setting the wireless adapter transmitting & receiving the packets in question as the capture interface while running wireshark atop M$ windows operating systems, then the limitations referred to below apply. Otherwise, hardware-based solutions still appear to work (in this case, it would be somewhat inexcusable if they didn't):

http://www.riverbed.com/us/products/cascade/wireshark_enhancements/airpcap.php

The only programs I know that can do Wi-Fi captures on Windows XP, such as Tamosoft's CommView for WiFi:

	http://www.tamos.com/products/commwifi/

or WildPackets' OmniPeek:

	http://www.wildpackets.com/products/portable_analysis/omnipeek_software

do so by providing their own device drivers for a set of supported 802.11 adapters.  Even Microsoft's own Network Monitor 3:

	http://blogs.technet.com/b/netmon/

only supports Wi-Fi capturing on Windows Vista and Vista 7; they rely on some networking features that first showed up in Vista (NDIS 6 and Native Wi-Fi) and, I think, rely on the driver for the Wi-Fi adapter to support Native Wi-Fi).  Wireshark uses WinPcap on Windows; WinPcap doesn't use the Vista-and-later networking features and thus doesn't support monitor mode on Wi-Fi.