Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Alert on captured packet

From: Tony Trinh <tony19@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 21:56:47 -0500
Yes, a Lua tap can do this. For example, you can use the following script to beep 3 times when it detects UDP packet lengths between 1034 and 1037. The beeps can get annoying.

local _filter = 'udp.length > 1034 and udp.length < 1037'

local function make_tap(filter)
local tap = Listener.new(nil, filter)

function tap.packet()
-- beep 3 times
for i=1,3 do print '\007' end
-- you can also show a message box here with
-- new_dialog() or report_failure(), but you'll
-- need a flag to prevent opening a whole bunch
-- of message boxes
end
return tap
end

-- If not running from Wireshark, enable the tap immediately, then
-- abort, or else we'll get an error below for trying to do GUI
-- stuff from the command line.
if not gui_enabled() then
make_tap(_filter)
return
end

local function make_win()
local tap = nil
local win = TextWindow.new("Watcher")
local function remove_tap()
if tap then tap:remove() end
tap = nil
end
win:set("Press Start to begin watching")
win:set_atclose(remove_tap)
win:add_button("Start", function()
if tap then
report_failure("Already started")
return
end
win:set("Watching for:\n" .. _filter)
tap = make_tap(_filter)
end)
win:add_button("Stop", function()
if not tap then
report_failure("Not started")
return
end
remove_tap()
win:set("Press Start to begin watching")
end)
end

register_menu("Lua/Test", make_win, MENU_TOOLS_UNSORTED or 8)