Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Real Time bit rate measurement

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 14:42:11 -0800
On Jan 7, 2012, at 7:18 PM, will & erika wrote:

> I'm now looking into WireShark with hope that it will have the capability to display an incoming stream's bit rate for RTMP and HTTP.
> In reading the User Guide I see that it has;
> Statistic infos:
> -y display average data rate (in bytes/sec)
> -i display average data rate (in bits/sec)
> -z display average packet size (in bytes)
> -x display average packet rate (in packets/sec)
>
> This seems to be what I am looking for.  I'm I correct on this assumption?

No.  Those are command-line options for the capinfos command; that command does *NOT* dissect packets, and knows nothing whatsoever about TCP connections, much less about RTMP or HTTP streams.

> I searched the User Guide for information on RTMP and did not find any information on this.  Why doesn't WireShark mention RTMP?

The same question could be asked about many of the other thousand or so protocols Wireshark supports.  If it doesn't do anything other than dissect a protocol, there's not much for the User's Guide to say about the protocol.

> What does Broadcom Netlink have to do with WireShark?

It's an Ethernet network adapter card, and Wireshark can capture on Ethernets using libpcap/WinPcap and an Ethernet network adapter card.