Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Colorize Conversation - except for SYN/FIN

From: Chris Maynard <Chris.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 15:57:35 +0000 (UTC)
Prigge Scott <PriggeScottM@...> writes:

> I'm a little embarrassed
> to admit that I seem to have found a way shortly after my initial post by
simply creating a new coloring rule
> with the following expression:
> tcp.stream eq 7 && (!(tcp.flags & 0x02) || tcp.flags.fin != 1)
>
> which has my desired effect. However, the String field in the coloring rule is
yellow, and I'm also using the
> expression you explicitly cautioned against (tcp.flags.fin != 1). I got those
flag expressions from the
> built-in "TCP SYN/FIN" coloring rule. What is the concern with that expression?

Due to certain fields like ip.addr, in general it is not advisable to use
expressions of the form, "(field != value)".  Rather, using an expression of the
form, "!(field == value)", is preferred to avoid any unintended consequences,
and that is the reason the coloring rule is yellow instead of green.

Read the "Gothas" section of http://wiki.wireshark.org/DisplayFilters for more
information.

- Chris