Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] packet loss and network issues - wireshark

From: "RUOFF, LARS (LARS)** CTR **" <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 11:11:49 +0100
Hi,

> But what I am failing to understand is where is wireshark getting the sequence number, because UDP doesnt have any sequence number, then is it the RTP packet number?

Yes, the packet loss count is based on the RTP sequence number.
Basically, packet loss counter is increased by (SEQ_N - SEQ_N-1 - 1), where N and N-1 are the currently and previously received RTP packets of that same tream, respectively. This value can be negative.

> MAX Delta - Is this max gap between packets for a stream? If so what will be the best value?

Yes.
If there's no silence suppression, the expected value is the "framing" used for that call and codec.
Typical values are 20ms or 30ms for G.711 for example.
More precisely, the expected value is the difference between RTP timestamps, taking into account the Codec sampling rate, and expressed in miliseconds. This is usually constant throughout a call.

Care must be taken if the stream contains silence frames, comfort noise, etc.
Wireshark doesn't handle them too well in the jitter or loss calculations and you might get unexpected results.

Lars