Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Sniffing1GigE interfaces without laptop crashing

From: Kasper Adel <karim.adel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:39:06 +0200
Thanks everyone for responding.

By crash, i meant wireshark it self failing which stops the capture.

Point well taken, a CLI tool would be best (tcpdump in that case). any other suggestions to improve the performance when a lot of traffic is captured?

One more question, in cases where we are capturing and waiting for an event to happen (specific packet for example)  what are best practices in this case? i am afraid memory would be consumed and the operating system might act up and maybe crash so what would be the best parameters in terms of rotation files and ring buffer size...etc?

Thanks,
Kim