Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Looking for tool that will create congestion between two a

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 20:26:20 -0500
On 11/11/2011 04:59 PM, W T wrote:
Hi,

I have a client and server running in two different machine, and
wanted to reduce the available bandwidth between these two machines
based on applications running in this machine.

Is there any free tool available on Linux and windows platforms.

After having used FreeBSD's dummynet (part of the ipfw package) at an IETF bakeoff, I started using it at work and have been very impressed. It doesn't have a lot of fancy features (like jitter), but if you're just looking for things like controlling bandwidth or injecting packet loss it works quite well--and it's rock solid (never a crash or hang; the FreeBSD box only goes down when it gets moved).

The man page is probably all you'll ever need:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ipfw&sektion=8#TRAFFIC_SHAPER_%28DUMMYNET%29_CONFIGURATION

ps. Yes, I know you said you were looking for Linux or Windows, but... Maybe you could put FreeBSD in a VM.