Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Help! errors in captured UDP stream that I know is perfectly c

From: Roni Peleg <Roni.Peleg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 01:17:14 -0500

Hi Wiresharkers,

I’m a newbie so please pardon me if I describe my problem clumsily.

I’m using Wireshark version:  “1.3.6FpgaTxOutput (SVN Rev 32781 from /trunk)

I do the next:

1. I inject a perfectly clean MPEG stream over UDP  into a PC with Ethernet 1Gigabit interface network card.

   (I know it’s clean for sure, and anyway I also checked by some reliable testing tools such as StreamXpert running on the same PC, connected to the same interface port)

2. I close all windows, no program is running on the PC. The UDP stream continues flowing in all the time.

3. I open Wireshark, set a capture-file and start recording (I tried with and without filtering only the relevant IP).

                - I choose the correct interface port for sure (Dektec 1Gigabit-Ethernet network card)

                - I choose to capture in Promiscuous mode

                - I write the name of the file to be recorded into

                - I uncheck the “update list of packets in real time” checkbox

                - “Enable MAC…”:yes,   “Enable Network…”:no,   “Enable transport…”:yes.

                - the I press “start”.

4. From the resulting capture-file I’m striping the MPEG stream out of the UDP encapsulation. (did this a hundred times, it’s 100% reliable)

5. in the resulting MPEG stream I get “Continuity-Counter Errors” which means packets were lost or mixed with another stream.

6. Actually, instead of steps 4-5 I later on simply ran Wireshark’s MPEG-TS-checker and indeed the Wireshark itself reported the same  CC Errors!

Have you ever encountered such a problem?

Could it be that Wireshark is too weak to record a ~50Mbps stream into a capture file?

What should I do??

Thanks in advance,

Roni