Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Request setup information to decode LTE RRC/MAC dissection

From: Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 18:13:21 +0000

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM, W T <wokelmal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I am receiving the LTE RRC/MAC message from the eNB as encapsulated UDP packet to a laptop where wire shark is running.

Are these messages send using the framing format mentioned in http://wiki.wireshark.org/MAC-LTE ?
If so, then you need only turn on the MAC-LTE protocol preference 'Try heuristic LTE-MAC over UDP framing'.

If not, then you'll need to create your own dissector for your format, parse out the required information and call set_mac_lte_proto_data() (see http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/trunk/epan/dissectors/packet-mac-lte.h) and call the mac-lte dissector for the PDU itself.

What is the setting i must do in the wireshark to decode the LTE message that is inside the UDP packet. Will it automatically gives the LTE-RRC and MAC statistics?

There are currently MAC and RLC statistics, but not RRC...  You should automatically get those statistics, although for RLC you should check your MAC-LTE preference settings to ensure that the MAC SDUs are called with correct RLC format (i.e. mode, sequence number length).

Good luck,
Martin

Best regards
Wo