Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] please help to look at my reject file produced byinstallin

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 14:26:38 -0700
On Nov 4, 2011, at 1:35 PM, Dale McCoy wrote:

> I realize this is for a different mailing list, but see this, under
> "Note about e-Mail disclaimers":
> http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/list_etiquette.html

I read that as a rhetorical complaint about IT departments who slap on disclaimers rather than as practical advice as to how to get rid of those disclaimers.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I suspect that, for most people who send e-mail from within an organization that slaps disclaimers on them, "[their] IT department" will respond to a request to remove the disclaimer with "sorry, it's company policy" or "sorry, our legal department insisted" and so on.  If a significant number of users complain together, or if users with sufficient seniority or authority complain, perhaps *that* will make a difference.

Yelling at people who might not even *know* about the disclaimers attached to their mail unless and until they see the copy of the message they sent to the list, and who might not be in a position to, by themselves, affect the corporate policy on those disclaimers, might vent one's frustration at seeing those disclaimers, but it probably won't help get rid of them.  (By and large, I just ignore or laugh at the disclaimers.)