Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Display dumpcap in real time

From: Chip <jeffschips@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 16:37:04 -0400
On 11/1/2011 4:27 PM, Martin Visser wrote:
Chip,

Filter on dumpcap (-f), are capture filters, which restrict what is being captured to file. Display filters (-R on tshark) restrict what is being display, but don't effect what is captured.

You can use tshark, but just set it to say stop after ten minutes (using say -a duration:600), to limit how much context and hence memory tshark consumes.  You then just need a script wrapper to loop starting new instances of tshark, like so:-

while [ 1 ]; do tshark -i eth1 -a duration:600 -T fields -e frame.time -e ip.src -e ip.dst; done

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx