Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark filters

From: kevin creason <ckevinj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:02:11 -0500
Capture filters are troublesome for at least four reasons:
They can only be selected when you begin a capture and they remain for the duration of the capture.
They prevent packets from being captured either by exclusion of the filter or not being included in the filter.
Once packets are not captured, you cannot see them.
Finally, capture filter syntax is in the tcpdump style syntax, so it is not at all like a display filter.

However, they have their uses. But as a newbie I would ignore capture filters until you reach a better understanding about packet analysis.

-Kevin
/*“ I am looking for a lot of men who have an infinite capacity to not know what can't be done. ” -- Henry Ford  */