Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] eth0 missing

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:39:45 -0700
On Sep 23, 2011, at 6:31 AM, kamyar beigi wrote:

> The eth0 interface is not listed in available interfaces list in Wireshark
> i did log in as different user,
> how can i escalate my privilege due to capture my traffic?

dumpcap needs sufficient privileges; Wireshark and TShark do *NOT*, and should *NOT* be given extra privileges - to quote

	http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/trunk/doc/README.packaging

"WIRESHARK CONTAINS OVER TWO MILLION LINES OF SOURCE CODE. DO NOT RUN
THEM AS ROOT."

See

	http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges

for information on how to arrange that dumpcap be able to do what it needs to do; look for the "GNU/Linux distributions, Wireshark is installed using a package manager" and "Other Linux based systems or other installation methods" sections.