Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] out of port numbers

From: Andrej van der Zee <andrejvanderzee@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 07:48:27 +0200

> How do you define running out of ports?

Suppose an application needs a port to setup a connection but all port
numbers are already taken by other established and time-waited
connections.

> On *nixes you have to know how the TCP and UDP stacks are configured,
> and they are all different. I have two Linux box that use 32768-61000,

Yes these are default Linux settings (cat
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range).

I am seeings a lot of port-reuses in the tcpdumps. The tcpdump was
captured on a Debian master that runs multiple Debian guests (Linux
VServer). Among others, it runs a proxy and application server that
setup a new connection for each HTTP request that is being served.

Cheers,
Andrej