Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] MPEG 2 Video Decoding

From: Herbert Grabmayer <Herbert.Grabmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:05:55 +0200
Hello to all!

First a little introduction of myself. I am working the past ten years in the network and application performance troubleshooting and using various tools for my work. i have some knowledge in TCP and use Wireshark for analysis since some years.

Now i am analyzing a video stream that a have recorded with an shark appliance. Analyzing parts of this stream where i found some anomalies with the pilot console with the Wireshark show me the packets decoded as ISO/IEC 13818-1 and when i have packet loss i get a indication in the Wireshark expert. When i save the payload as avi file and run it with windows media player i see clearly if the packet loss affects the video quality.

But i have there a other anomaly seen. the stream is variable bit-rate with around 11 Mbit/s. normally there are little variations around 10 to  12 Mbit/s when i show the packets with IO Graph with 0,01 second granularity. but some times it goes down to nearly zero for 10 ms. When i look at the trace i see normally 2 to 3 packets per second running but sometimes i see for 10 milliseconds nothing. Now i need a tool to make this behavior visible in a video playback. When i save only the payload than i loos the timing information and a can only detect the behavior of packet loss. So i need a tool where i can read the pcap trace with udp/ISO/IEC -13818-1 frame and replay it without loos of the timing information so i can see if this 10 ms gaps affect the video quality.

Someone know an open-source or commercial tool that can read and replay video over ethernet frames?

thanks in advance
Herbert