Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Still unable to decode WPA2 on a MacBook

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:35:30 +0200
OK, it was working all the time I guess. I didn’t notice it.
There are so many Frames of other wifi networks caught on monitor mode that I oversaw the few decrypted Frames, now packets.
I just had to put my key to:

wpa-pwd:mypassword:myssid

or with the preshared key calculated from the generator from:

http://www.wireshark.org/tools/wpa-psk.html

so this would give me:

wpa-psk:2f0568b3492812bd56b946dbaf3fd7dd669b9a4602a09aa6462ff057949b025c

both of them are able to decrypt the 802.11 frames of my wifi-network
The other settings I had like this:

Reassemble fragmented 802.11 datagrams: checked
Ignore vendor-specific HT elements: checked
Call subdissector for retransmitted 802.11 frames: checked
Assume packets have FCW: unchecked
Ignore the protection bit: No
Enable encryption: Yes

Key #1: wpa-pwd:mypassword:myssid
or
Key #1: wpa-psk:2f0568b3492812bd56b946dbaf3fd7dd669b9a4602a09aa6462ff057949b025c

I didn’t play with all those settings anymore, but I guess they are more or less unimportant for the decryption.

When I started Wireshark I set it like this:

Interface: en1
Link-layer header type: 802.11 plus radiotap header
Capture packets in monitor mode

And the capturing is not really reliable, nor is the decryption I think.
Some packets are just incomplete and the data is missing.
I guess it is because of monitor mode, which might be difficult to get all data of all stations.
To filter out the broadcast I set the display filter to: !(wlan.da==ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)
Only after a while I get decrypted and real packets (Protocol: DNS, TCP, HTTP, SSL, POP, SMTP, TLSv1 etc).
When there are some, I have in Wireshark at the bottom-Tab beside the Frame-Tab a Tab called:

Decrypted CCMP data (... bytes)

If there are none, a display filter like:

tcp.stream >= 0

would give me an empty list.

Kind Regards, franc