Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Dumpcap -D outputting results to text file

From: "Keith French" <keithfrench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:48:26 +0100
I need to get the list of available interfaces from Dumpcap via a batch file. I am using Wireshark V1.6.1 on Windows 7. This always used to work, but now doesn’t for some reason. The contents of the batch file are:-

"C:\Program Files\Wireshark\dumpcap.exe" -D > "C:\Program Files\Wireshark\output.txt"

There are no results in the text file.

If I run it from a cmd window using the syntax:-

dumpcap -D > "C:\Program Files\Wireshark\output.txt"

I get the output from dumpcap –D in the cmd window, but nothing in the text file.

I also tried from a cmd window:-

dir > "C:\Program Files\Wireshark\output.txt"

In this case there was no output in the cmd window, but the normal dir response was in the text file as you would expect.

Any ideas?

Keith French