Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] finding the smoking gun for traffic spikes

From: Rogelio <scubacuda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 23:00:21 -0300
I've got several L2TP tunnels hitting a Cisco 7201 and am trying to
use Wireshark to determine what inside my tunnel responsible  queue
drops on one of interface responsible for the L2TP termination. I
inserted a Wireshark laptop in a hub between  the LAC and the LNS, and
I got a good 24 hour sniff of L2TP traffic.

(A broadcast filter is on the router, so I know this has to be unicast
garbage flooding my L2TP tunnels.  I suspect it is unknown  unicast
flooding, but to make my case for a good carrier grade switch that
supports the UUFB feature, I need to make a good case.)

I'm relatively new to Wireshark and could use some suggestions on how
to determine what is responsible for the traffic spikes in the IO
graph.  I sorted the traffic by protocol hierarchy and found 99% of it
inside the Ethernet / IP section is TCP, so I know that it's
application level traffic.  I'm hoping to narrow this down a bit more
and  find the smoking gun.

Any ideas where to start?  I feel like I'm poking around here and
could use any pointers or suggestions others might have.

--
Also on LinkedIn?  Feel free to connect if you too are an open
networker: scubacuda@xxxxxxxxx