Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] WEP & WPA decryption

From: Al Grant <bigal.nz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 07:29:56 +1200
HI All,

A bit of a wireshark newbie here, but its such a powerful tool I am experimenting and learning.

So far my experiments have lead me to a few questions. With WPA decryption I found that:

With a WPA password of the format %word1234% I could not decrypt the packets? I wonder if the '%' interfered with it? As soon as I changed the password to abcd1234 it decrypted fine? Does anyone know what this was?

Also with WEP decryption I assume that I do not need to capture the session handshake?
With WEP decryption I have also had problems, I tried to enter the WEP Hex value in several formats:

wep:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
xxxxxxxxxx

None of them worked - any ideas here?

THanks in advance,

-Al

--
Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.
 - Viktor E. Frankl