Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Nettl HP-UX

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:31:00 -0700
On Jun 29, 2011, at 9:10 AM, Chris Maynard wrote:

> Not quite sure what to do in
> capture_eth() though, as I'm not completely sure what that function is for;
> maybe you could have a look?

The capture_xxx() functions are for doing a very quick and dirty dissection of packets while we're capturing traffic, so that instead of just showing a count of packets as we capture, we can show a count of particular types of packets.  Therefore, the right thing to do with invalid packets would be to count them as "other" packets and not bother doing any further dissection - just as we do when doing a real dissection.