Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] clock time trouble capturing TCP traffic over USB interface ve

From: Gilberton Philippe <Philippe.Gilberton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:56:07 +0200

I am currently facing a problem in capturing TCP traffic via a modem 3G connected to the USB port of my Windows XP machine. The reference clock time displayed on the column of the captured file is not the same as the one of a regular capture file I performed on the Ethernet clock of my PC. For my test bed purpose, I need to work on absolute time and not relative one.

To confirm I shifted the PC clock time of 1 hour and the clock time displayed on the column of the captured file through USB didn't change while the one captured on the Ethernet interface changed accordingly. By the way I didn't figure out which clock is use by Wireshark in case of 3g modem USB interface connection, is it USB clock, 3g modem clock?

Is there any way to set Wireshark capturing parameter to force it to use PC clock time instead of USB one?

Best regards

Philippe Gilberton

Researcher