Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] recommendation NIC w/flow control frames

From: Jake Peavy <djstunks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 13:09:15 -0400
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Andrej van der Zee <andrejvanderzee@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

We are about to buy NICs for sniffing networks by means of port-mirroring on a PC running Linux/Ubuntu. Unfortunately we are not sure yet about the network throughput that we will have to support. We would like to start looking for a 10 Gigabit/sec NIC costing around 250 USD. Moreover, we are not sure about specific NIC-options we should look out for which might further reduce packet drops (such as the various offload-options). Hopefully somebody out there could provide us with more information!

Hi, sorry to piggy back here but I have the same question (NIC recommendation) but with a different requirement - I want to be able to see/capture Ethernet Flow Control frames with Wireshark.  Apparently most cards operate on flow control in hardware and never pass the information [1].

So my question is if anyone has a NIC recommendation that will allow flow control analysis?

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.tcpdump.devel/2054

Tks,

--
-jp

I think a good way to get into a movie is to show up where they're making the movie, then stick a big cactus plant onto your buttocks and start yowling and running around. Everyone would think it was funny, and the head movie guy would say, "Hey, let's put him in the movie."

deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com