Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wondering about TCP checksum errors in AFP-over-TCP

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:15:54 +1100
There really is a small risk in deselecting "Validate TCP checksums if
possible". If your TCP headers were really corrupted then most likely
this would be because of physical layer errors. However, as with most
media there is built-in physical layer error detection (or
correction), corrupted packets are going to either be discarded or
corrected before Wireshark gets to see it. The only time you really
need to validate TCP checksums would be if you are  developing your
own TCP stack or developing devices that try to manipulate the TCP
headers in interesting ways - not something most network engineers or
sysadmins are doing.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx