Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Query regarding Wireshark

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:14:37 +1100
I understand that out-of-order packets are allowed - but the expectation always would be that it would be an on-the-wire issue mainly due to multiple equal-hop paths being in the network, and hence a router/switch might be configured to alternate amongst those. However a network adapter/interface is by nature serial with a single path - packet reordering only occurs due to having say multiple queues that chosen on say a quality-of-service rule.

My surprise if that libpcap interfaces would be implemented in a way different from the network stack. This seems rather accidental  if does occur.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx

On 27 March 2011 04:34, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mar 26, 2011, at 4:43 AM, Andrew Hood wrote:

> TCP traffic is allowed to arrive out of order. The OS stack will
> reassemble it in the correct order.
>
> With other traffic it has always been the application's problem to deal
> with out of order data. The OS stack may have to deal with reassembling
> fragments.

I.e., the service offered by most if not all LANs, as well as by PPP, doesn't guarantee in-order delivery of packets, so, for most if not all network technologies, there's no harm in not guaranteeing that packets are handed to the network stack in the order that they were received by the network adapter.