Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] running wireshark on my network

From: M Holt <m.iostreams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 03:55:50 -0700
Get in touch with your system administrator, and find out how the machines on your network are managed.
He / she, probably has some method in place to audit systems in the network.

Your question sounds like "is there any way to tell by looking at network traffic, if someone is running Wireshark on a particular system in the network".
This is of course, is not possible, because as already mentioned, Wireshark passively monitors traffic, but is not injecting traffic of it's own.
The real question ( statement ) should be something like "I am running a small network of 10 Windows 7 ( or Mac OSX, or Ubuntu Linux, etc ) computers, and I need to determine whether Wireshark is installed and running on any of them".

Can you give more specifics to your situation?