Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Trying, unsuccessfully, to add custom dissectors to WS-Por

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 07:02:38 +0100
Hi,

Yes, they must be the same Major.Minor release number. Going beyond that you loose the guarantee of API compatibility, like you've encountered.

Thanks,
Jaap

On 03/03/2011 08:19 PM, Dan White wrote:
Following the Wireshark Developer's Guide, I installed Visual Studio Express 2008 and built WireShark from source.  Then I installed Portable on a thumb drive.

First question: Should the versions match exactly ?
The build is bleeding edge (1.5.x) and the portable is 1.4.4