Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Trying, unsuccessfully, to add custom dissectors to WS-Portabl

From: Dan White <ygor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 19:19:59 +0000 (UTC)
Following the Wireshark Developer's Guide, I installed Visual Studio Express 2008 and built WireShark from source.  Then I installed Portable on a thumb drive.

First question: Should the versions match exactly ?
The build is bleeding edge (1.5.x) and the portable is 1.4.4

Next: I build a new dissector in the source tree in the plugins directory and build it and copy the resulting dll into the plugins directory of the portable app.

When I start up WS, I get an error saying:
"Couldn't load module <full path to my new dll>
<full path to my new dll>: The specified procedure could not be found"

Also, I have tried the steps described at <http://wiki.wireshark.org/WiresharkPortable> under PortableApps Package.  It does not work.  It barfs when it gets to the portableapps/win32 directory.  There is a call to nmake for target "wireshark.manifest".
This generates a perl commaand : "perl ws-manifest.pl nsis/wireshark.nsi > wireshark.manifest"
which throws an error:
"The following directories have no known location on a U3 device:
'$INSTDIR\plugins\$(VERSION)'B_DIR\engines"
and then nmake errors out.

Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)