Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Differentiating different protocols in UDP packet

From: Vinay Kumar L <vinaykumar.l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:44:35 +0530
Hi All,

I have a doubt regarding differentiating different protocols in UDP packet by wireshark. Protocols like DNS, RTP....etc uses UDP, so after UDP header the corresponding headers(DNS, RTP...etc)appears in Wireshark capture. How does the Wireshark determines particular protocol headers after UDP header in UDP packet as the packet contains bulk of data(headers, payload) after UDP header? Does each protocol have specific id for identification? If yes, which part of header contains that id field?
Please guide me.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Vinay