Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Windows 7 Permission Problem on Standard Input

From: Rick Gudmundson <rickg421@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 16:46:53 -0600
I'm trying to setup remote packet capture over SSH from a Windows 7 64-bit computer. I previously used this method on my old Win XP box. On this Windows 7, it failed with the error in a pop-up on top of the Wireshark application "The temporary file to which the capture would be saved ("") could not be opened: Permission denied." I then tried the basic example from http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Pipes#Stdin of "cat capture.cap | wireshark -k -i -" (which also works on the XP box) with the same result.

If I just launch Wireshark normally, I have no problem capturing packets on my local interface. Interestingly, when I do get that error, if I try to run a regular local capture it still produces the same blocking pop-up. I'd have to close & re-launch Wireshark to capture again.

I'm still getting used to Wireshark on Windows 7, so I'm wondering if there's someone who can help point me in the right direction to unlock the right permission. Thanks.

--
Rick