Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] DHCP-FO Message Type and Server Status

From: Jürgen Dietl <juergen.dietl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 16:08:26 +0100
Hello, its me again,

I am still fighting with DHCP-Fail Over. I am very happy that there is a dissector for dhcp-fo already in wireshark and I say a big thanx for this.

When I look at the packet-dhcp-failover.c at http://ethereal.sourcearchive.com/documentation/0.10.10/packet-dhcp-failover_8c-source.html
I can see the following server and message type:

DHCP_FO_SS_UNKNOWN_PACKET,
      DHCP_FO_SS_PARTNER_DOWN,
      DHCP_FO_SS_NORMAL,
      DHCP_FO_SS_COMMUNICATION_INTERRUPTED,
      DHCP_FO_SS_RESOLUTION_INTERRUPTED,
      DHCP_FO_SS_POTENTIAL_CONFLICT,
      DHCP_FO_SS_RECOVER,
      DHCP_FO_SS_RECOVER_DONE,
      DHCP_FO_SS_SHUTDOWN,
      DHCP_FO_SS_PAUSED,
      DHCP_FO_SS_STARTUP,
      DHCP_FO_SS_RECOVER_WAIT

/* message-types of failover */
enum {
      DHCP_FO_RESERVED,
      DHCP_FO_POOLREQ,
      DHCP_FO_POOLRESP,
      DHCP_FO_BNDUPD,
      DHCP_FO_BNDACK,
      DHCP_FO_CONNECT,
      DHCP_FO_CONNECTACK,
      DHCP_FO_UPDREQ,
      DHCP_FO_UPDDONE,
      DHCP_FO_UPDREQALL,
      DHCP_FO_STATE,
      DHCP_FO_CONTACT,
      DHCP_FO_DISCONNECT

All of them should have an 8 bit Integer Number. I was not able to find out the numbers with reading the source code so I tried them out. I was successful with the DHCP_FO-message-types:

dhcpfo.type==

3  = Binding Update
4  = Binding Acknowledge
5  = Connect
6  = Connect Acknowledge
7  = Update Request All
8  = Update Done
10 = State

but I was not able to find the other values. And I also did not find even one Server-State. I did not even find a packet that includes a server state when looking at the content of dhcpfo-header. So I please have 2 questions:

1. What are the numbers for the additional message-types?
2. In what packets should I be able to find the server states quoted above?

thanx a lot for all your help,
have a nice evning
cheers,
Juergen