Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] about the VOIP bandwidth

From: nangergong <nangergong@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:37:19 +0000
Thank you.
I think this makes sense.
It is strange that the traffic monitoring program shows that the bandwidth used is about 64kbps for the VOIP program...

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 22:21:56 +0100, Anders Broman wrote:

nangergong skrev 2011-01-30 20:12:
Hi, all:

  I'm using wireshark to capture VOIP streams, the Codec used in the VOIP session is G711, which uses bandwidth of 64kbps.

  When I follow the following steps to analyse the VOIP streams:

  Telephony->RTP->show all streams->Analyze,

  I found that the IP BW (bandwidth) column shows that the bandwidth is about 81.6 kbps.   I also used a traffic monitoring program to monitor the traffic, which shows the bandwidth used is about 64kbps (conformant to G711 bit rate ). So, I wonder whether wireshark is accurate in measuring the bandwidth? or even other metrics such as jitter,etc..

  Thank you!

The codec data inside the RTP is 64Kbit/s with RTP/UDP/IP/Ethernet headers the rate should be something like 96Kb/s, if memory serves.
/Anders

It all depends on the protocol layer you look at. This site lets you have a good insight in what's involved here.

Thanks,
Jaap