Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Retransmission because of no ACK from user

From: Alan Tu <8libra@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:24:54 +0000
Martin, There is a problem because once one of my clients (phone)
sends an HTTP request, and the response starts flowing, no more ACKs
from the client reaches the server. This causes failed web page
retrieval. This is client/server specific, and is systematic.

I can infer that the ACKs from the client are not making it by the TCP
reply timestamp from the server never incrementing after the HTTP GET
request.

I compared line by line the difference between a failed connection
from the phone client and a successful connection from the Windows
client. I used netcat to duplicate the phone's HTTP request to rule
out a problem at the HTTP layer. I noticed that my phone used the TCP
timestamp option and checked this on Windows 7 by running

netsh int tcp show global

TCP timestamps was disabled, so I enabled it:

netsh int tcp set global timestamps=enabled

I then reran netcat. The netcat made the identical HTTP request, and
now Windows uses timestamps. Unlike with the phone, the ACKs were
making it to the server (again, I can infer by examining the TCP reply
timestamps from the server).

I replicated the phone's failed request on my PC as close as I could
with the available tools, and the request succeeded. I then compared
the failed connection with the successful replicated connection
looking for differences, and I found very little differences. One of
the differences was that my phone advertised a window scale factor of
0 (2 power 0 = 1 or no shift, but supports scaling in the other
direction.) Maybe somehow, the server TCP stack drops TCP packets of
segment size 0 (follow-on ACKs) if the window scale is set to 0. I'm
grasping at straws.

So in summary, the initial HTTP GET request is received by the server,
but no ACKs after that are received, causing the server to time out.
This is a systematic issue and not random packet loss. I simply am at
a loss at this packet discrimination.

Alan