Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [semi-OT] request second opinion on possible bugs in OS TC

From: Alan Tu <8libra@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 00:01:53 +0000
Sake, Thanks for your analysis. It helps a lot. I knew I needed a
second opinion. I'll start liking my Nokia phone again. Well, maybe
just a little.

For everyone else, the original PCAP (Nokia phone) is on Cloudshark at
http://www.cloudshark.org/captures/3cc0916bb5be

I agree figuring out why this site (not a fly by night site) always
times out and retransmits (I have other samples) is interesting. I
just didn't focus on that because (1) dropped packets is part of the
TCP model, and (2) I overlooked the idea that my packets may be
selectively but systematically filtered. Clearly, the initial SYN and
HTTP request packets are getting to the server. Also, Windows and this
site communicate fine, using the same shared public IP (PCAP at
http://www.cloudshark.org/captures/f06cb43fec83
). What criteria might an intermediate host be using to distinguish my
Nokia-originated packets and my PC-originated packets?

Back to the stack issue. Also from the RFC 2018: "the bytes just below
the block, (Left Edge of Block - 1), and just above the block, (Right
Edge of Block), have not been received". So SACK'ing 1-1448 while
ACK'ing 2896 in the same packet (frame 10) seems unreasonable.

I do concur that it appears somehow none of the later ACKs are making it. Weird.

Thanks for your help using your wisdom to slightly untangle this.

Alan