Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Proactively fixing problems by running WS 24/7

From: Vincent <vin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:15:37 -0500
I setup fairly large networks for residential use (50-100 devices).
Whenever we install a new network we would like to test to make sure
there is no network problems due to bad wiring or incorrectly
configured devices.

In the past I have used wireshark to fix network problems such as a
service that has gone out of control spewing broadcast packets to the
network and taking out wifi.

In most cases everything looks fine at first glance and the network is
operating normally. What I would like to be able to do is setup
wireshark to run 24/7 collecting packets and logging or alerting if it
finds anything unusual. In recent version of the wireshark program I
notice a bubble in the bottom left corner that shows any errors or
warnings that have been found. Is this a good way of determining if a
network is healthy?

Are there other applications that could be easily setup to monitor or
report network utilization during this initial 'burn in' period.

Thanks,
-Vincent