Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Invalid RSS feed format for Wireshark newsgroups.

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:45:09 -0800
On Jan 9, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Jurko Gospodnetić wrote:

>  In an element such as:
>
>  <guid isPermaLink="true">XXX</guid>
>
>  XXX must be a valid link that can be used by a web browser to access the item's data.

In particular, the spec:

	http://www.rssboard.org/rss-specification

says that the "Link" in "isPermaLink" is key here:

	<guid> is an optional sub-element of <item>.

	guid stands for globally unique identifier. It's a string that uniquely identifies the item. When present, an aggregator may choose to use this string to determine if an item is new.

		<guid>http://some.server.com/weblogItem3207</guid>

	There are no rules for the syntax of a guid. Aggregators must view them as a string. It's up to the source of the feed to establish the uniqueness of the string.

	If the guid element has an attribute named isPermaLink with a value of true, the reader may assume that it is a permalink to the item, that is, a url that can be opened in a Web browser, that points to the full item described by the <item> element. An example:

		<guid isPermaLink="true">http://inessential.com/2002/09/01.php#a2</guid>

	isPermaLink is optional, its default value is true. If its value is false, the guid may not be assumed to be a url, or a url to anything in particular.