Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Packets not captured, tcp acking lost segments. Large pack

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 22:17:52 +1100
Michael,

"Large packets" are perfectly legal. It is possible that you are
sending "jumbo" packets which are supported on gigabit ethernet.
Normally you would need to configure that on your servers explicitly
though and you need to make sure your clients are also similarly
configured to support these. (The reason I didn't mention it earlier
is that it I expect you would have mentioned jumbo packets if you were
using thhese) It would be good for you to confirm that your server is
using Large Segment Offload. This will in the NIC driver
configuration.
BTW Laura Chappell blogged about LSO at
http://laurachappell.blogspot.com/2010/09/analyzing-huge-packets-tsolro.html
and in fact I got a bit confused by it about a year or so ago.

Yep, that wiki entry is a bit brief, and could be enhanced. The issue
I guess is for to understand whether you found a bug or whether you
aren't using Wireshark correctly of not. (Having a driver using LSO
shouldn't be causing you to drop packets, I am not sure what is going
on there). I have just found though a post and response from April
2010 that might shed some light. Have a look at
http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-users/201004/msg00067.html
and possibly try out Graham's suggestion at the bottom of
http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-users/201004/msg00068.html

One other reason you are getting that could be you are using a teaming
adapter. If you are only using Wireshark to monitor a single physical
NIC you might not be seeing all the traffic.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx