Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] how to apply a capture filter and save captured packets to an

From: "Sreenivasulu Yellamaraju" <Sreenivasulu.Yellamaraju@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:12:59 +0530

Hi,

I am trying to use tshark wit the following purpose :

Run it for a duration of overnight(12 hours), capture only management packets to/or from a known WLAN AP during those 12 hours and save the output to a PCAP format file.

This is my sniffer setup:

WireShark  version 1.2.9 (SVN Rev 33171)

 winpcap 4.1.1, libpcap 1.0

Tshark version 1.2.9(SVN Rev 33171)

Adapter : AirPCapNx from CACE technologies

Trial 1

------

The obvious solution is capture every packet in the air,save them and process later :

tshark -i wlan0 -w output.cap

tshark -i output.cap -R "display filter" -w output-processed.cap [this works only if above step works and output.pcap is generated after 12 hours]

But as I am running tshark for 12 hours and as there are hundreds of thousands of packets in air, the file output.cap becomes either too large of tshark itself is dying within 12 hours.

Next,I have tried the following  over a duration of 1 minute to see if it works :

tshark -i wlan0 -R "display filter" -w output-processed.cap

Although output-processed.cap is generated, it contains each and every packet in air and there is no effect of display filter.

Is there any switch to tshark that I am missing?

Trial 2

-------

Next, I have tried to apply capture filter in WireShark’s GUI.

I have tried some sample capture filters but none of them are accepted by the capture dialog box.

type mgt

subtype assocreq or subtype assocresp

Is there anything I am missing while entering these capture filters in Wireshark GUI ?

Regards,

Sreenivasulu Y

Lead Engineer