Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Windows server becomes unavailable on the network.

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 10:39:56 +1100
My first point of call would be the event logs available on the server - so fire up Event Viewer and look for any forensic information there. Some applications allow you to increase the verbosity of their logging, sometimes called a debug level, that will help pinpoint events leading to the crash.

While wireshark might help you understand whether network traffic triggered the crash, the reality is that applications *should* be written to handle any network traffic cleanly. TCP segments arriving out of sequence should be being handled by you IP stack. Applications that communicate via shared files usually need to incorporate good file and operation locking to ensure contention doesn't cause problems with multiple users.

If the server's shared drive dissappears off of the network I really would have thought there would be lot of events being reported by the Windows OS.

At the very least you can hope to bundle up some of your captures and file them with your application vendor so they can determine what is going on.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx