Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] User's frozen window

From: Hansang Bae <for_list_hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 21:04:43 -0500
On 11/26/2010 10:43 PM, vincent paul wrote:
Hi All,

Should user's zero-window time be considered as user's tier processing or network delay?

Well, it depends on what you consider network delay.  It's not a transmission delay, but it can be due to inefficient TCP stack.  So is that considered OS tier processing or network processing time?  I would consider it a protocol processing time.

*But* you can also make an argument that the application is too slow in sucking up the datagrams, in which case it's an application/tier processing time.

So it depends on your definition.  BTW, your use of "tier processing" and "network delay" makes me think you're using Opnet's product and questioning its output?  Do I have that right?

hsb