Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] TCP throughput graph question

From: Hansang Bae <for_list_hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 21:00:31 -0500
On 11/26/2010 6:06 AM, Michal Kepien wrote:
That might be troublesome as I deleted the original file :) If you have
something specific on your mind, I might try generating a new, similar
file. I thought the answer to my question is simple and there would be
no need to share the whole capture (it was too large to send by e-mail
anyway).

Remember that almost all "computer calculations" for a Kilobyte is 1024. In networking, 1 Kilobyte is 1,000 bytes. So you have to be careful about using the term "byte" FWIW, almost all network people use bits/sec as that's what we're used to and there can be no confusion.

Also, you have to account for the various header if you are trying to nail down the EXACT throughput (besides the fact that file size reported by OS assumes 1024 is 1KB.) You have to account for PPP header, HDLC header, or Ethernet header including preamble and CRC. *IF* you want the most accurate number I mean.

Also, at any given moment, the network is 100% utilized or 0% utilized. Either you have a bit on the wire or you don't. So if you're going to average it, you need the appropriate sample size and live with the fact that it's just an average.

Good luck