Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] How to save RTP payload as .au or other audio format?

From: nangergong <nangergong@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 14:27:34 +0000

Hi, all:

   I use Wireshark to capture a call between two clients using telephony software. The codec used is G711 PCMU and comfort noise (PT=CN), as you can see in picture 1. There are 7 streams altogether, as you can see in picture 2. I want to save the payload as .au file, however, I can only save the first 5 streams (which only contain some ringing sound or background noise) as .au files, the last 2 (which contain the speech content) can't be saved as .au file (but they can be saved as .raw format). The error message is “Can't save in a file: saving in au format supported only for alaw/ulaw streams”

When I play back the captured packets using VOIP CALL->Player, I can hear the sound from only one loudspeaker of the headset(there are two small loudspeaker in the headset). And if I save the captured RTP packets to .raw files, the .raw files seem to be damaged files. Very strange.

  So, do you have any idea on how to save RTP payload as .au or other audio format? or do you think CN payload type is a very big problem? Thank you!