Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] TCP throughput graph question

From: Michal Kepien <wireshark@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:54:22 +0100
Greetings,

I cannot understand how the TCP throughput graph is created by Wireshark. I have done the following:

1. Start packet capture.
2. Start a single web download on a 2 Mbit/s link.
   (The transfer was stable at 230 kB/s.)
3. Stop packet capture.
4. Filter the packets so that I only get the receiving side's packets from a one second long fragment of the transmission.
5. Save the filtered packets to a separate PCAP file.

When I open that file in Wireshark, the summary shows the file contains 170 frames, each 1514 bytes long, which translates to 170 * 1460 = 248200 bytes of raw TCP payload. That means the effective transfer rate was around 242 kB/s. (That's inconsistent with what the download application was showing, but read on.)

When I view the TCP throughput graph, most of the graph oscillates around 235000 bytes per second, which is around 230 kB/s - exactly what the download application was showing. But how can this be? Why does the graphed transfer rate differ by over 10 kB/s from a simple calculation? I've read a thread from a while back (http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-users/200701/msg00024.html) and when I calculate the throughput manually using the method described there, it's still inconsistent with what the graph is showing. What am I missing here?

I attach the PCAP file in question. Thanks in advance for any tips,

--
Best regards,
Michal Kepien