Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing outgoing SOAP Username/Password

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:50:54 -0700
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 01:56:05PM +0000, Max Russell wrote:

> I'm running Wireshark on the client machine that makes the call that
> should contain the value, using a fairly inclusive capture filter of
> host x.x.x.x
>
> Firstly, will I actually capture this on the client machine using the
> filter I described?

Yes, as long as the traffic is flowing to or from IP x.x.x.x

> Secondly, how can I search within the captures for the SOAP
> username/password?

Do you know one of the values?  If so, you can do a display filter (the
"host x.x.x.x" is a capture filter) such as "frame contains <value>".

Wireshark may be able to identify it in particular if the dissectors
support it.  I'm not too familiar with SOAP to be able to say.