Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark V1.4 Display Filter SyntaxHighlighting

From: "Keith French" <keithfrench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 22:31:40 -0000
Thanks very much.

-----Original Message----- From: Jeff Morriss
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 3:00 PM
To: Community support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark V1.4 Display Filter SyntaxHighlighting

Keith French wrote:
I've noticed that apart from the normal green or red background colours used for display filter syntax highlighting, a new colour of amber or yellow has been introduced. I am guessing this cam in in V1.4.0 or 1.4.1. What is its significance?

Actually it was there in 1.2 too.

If I enter a filter such as:-

rtp.p_type eq 97   it is green

If I use:-

rtp.p_type ne 97   it is amber

Is this just a warning in case you have used the classic mistake of:-

ip.addr ne 10.10.10.10

Yes.  There should be a warning explaining the color in the...  I guess
it's a status bar in the lower-left corner (the same place that the
field explanation and the field's dfilter are shown when you select a
protocol item).