Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] tshark "information" field filter

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 15:46:10 -0600
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 01:35:00PM +0200, fajfusio@xxxxx wrote:

> I would like to print the "information" field in tshark. The
> information means the contents of the information column from
> wireshark.

> I don't know what field name to use in tshark's -e option.

The info column will not work in -e as that is only for filterable
fields (such as tcp.port).  You can specify the columns to use in tshark
by overriding (-o) the preference file setting for column.format using
the syntax taken from the preferences file:

	# Packet list column format.
	# Each pair of strings consists of a column title and its format.
	column.format:
		"No.", "%m",
		"Time", "%t",
		"Source", "%s",
		"Destination", "%d",
		"Protocol", "%p",
		"Info", "%i"

For example, to only show the info column's contents in tshark:

	tshark -o column.format:"Info, %i"

The first word is the title of the column, which won't be shown in
tshark anyway.  The % variables can be found in epan/column.c of the
source code:

  http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/trunk/epan/column.c?view=markup

And cross-referencing the descriptions in epan/column_info.h:

http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/trunk/epan/column_info.h?view=markup

... we should probably make this easier as I could barely even remember
how to do it :)