Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] 32 bit dissectors on a 64 bit machine

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:49:14 -0400
Doug Bailey wrote:
I am running 64 bit ubuntu 10.04 and have installed the wireshark package that
comes with the distro. (1.2.7)

I am working with a vendor that has provided me with a set of dissectors
compiled for 32 bit distros whioch of course do not work with my 64 bit wireshark.
What do I need to do to get the 32 bit dissectors to run on my 64 bit machine?

I am assuming that I need to get 32 bit Wireshark (and 32 bit libpcap) installed
on my machine.  Has anyone who has already done this have any pearls of wisdom
about this process?  Any resources out there that can give me more information?

Would something like running a 32 bit emulation under VirtualBox be possible?

A comment:

You've indicated that a "vendor has provided a set of dissectors compiled for 32 bit ..."

Obviously I don't know the details but might it not be the case that the vendor is obligated to provide the dissector sources since Wireshark is GPL2 ?

If so, all you might then need to do is build a 64 bit Wireshark including the vendor supplied sources.