Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Header checksum: 0x0000 [incorrect, should be 0x8494] and

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:33:31 -0600
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 03:03:23PM +0100, Marco Simone Zuppone wrote:

> I'm struggling against this "Header checksum: 0x0000 [incorrect,
> should be 0x8494]" so I disabled the all the checksum offload option
> of the NIC driver on my Windows 7 64bit but still I have some packetes
> with this problem.

You can also disable checksum checks in the IP and TCP (and other)
protocols in Wireshark since bad checksum frames often aren't passed up
to Wireshark in the first place anyway.

> So I tried to unbind every protocol and service from the NIC (IPv4 and
> 6, Qos, etc etc...) and it is going like a charm. Now my ''novice''
> question: Is is advisable to unbind all the protocols and services
> from the NIC interface when you sniif traffic? Is this a good idea or
> not? Pro and Cons?

It doesn't hurt, but it isn't necessary usually, although that is a fix
for the checksum problems that I hadn't heard before.