Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Help in displaying specific columns

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:53:06 +0200
On 21 sep 2010, at 08:54, yuva raj wrote:

> Can -z option could be of any help?  Because we have been using tethereal for a longer time.  We prefer not to discontinue it.  Please help me in this regard.  Atleast if possible, please provide examples for using -z option.

tshark has all the functionality of tethereal (it is the same code but under a different name due to trademark ownership by Gerald's previous employer).

(See:  http://netsecurity.about.com/od/securitytoolprofiles/p/wireshark.htm )

There are possibilities to use -z to display specific columns, but only the ones that tethereal provides. ip.ttl and ip.frag_offset are not among them. For those you need custom columns, which is a feature added to tethereal after the name has been changed to tshark.

The only way to extract those fields IMHO is to output the whole tree with -V or -T pdml and parse the output with a script. But I would really go for the tshark option...

Cheers,

Sake