Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Diagnosing disconnect exactly every 10 minutes in online game.

From: Austin Kretzer <austink3d@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:31:00 -0600
Hello everyone,

I am trying to find out some help or direction for a problem I am having. I am playing an online game called Final Fantasy XIV, and for some reason every 10 minutes exactly, I get disconnected. My connection quality up to that point is fine, no lag. I don't know much about packets and Wireshark, I just downloaded it today. I have been trying to fix this problem for days now, with no luck. I ran Wireshark and started the game. Everything from my basic knowledge appears normal up to the 10 minute mark where I get this disconnect. I get hit by a FIN,ACK packet from the server for some reason, which my IP then replies with a ACK, and then its own FIN,ACK packet. After that I get four TCP RST packets from the server, and my connection goes down. I have no idea why the server would be doing this, or if its something in my own line doing it. Its the server's IP sending the first packet, but that makes no sense that it would only target me.

This only happens with this game, I have no problem browsing the internet. I have a 3MB DSL line from TDS. I hooked up my computer to a friends Comcast cable connection and played the game and it worked fine for hours on end, so I know its a connection issue. I have tried everything I know how to do, but I am more of a software and hardware kind of guy. Networking is my weakpoint besides the basics. I haven't found many people at all in the game having the same problem, and I have only found a few issues like this online through google with other games/general issues. I have tried every fix I have found so far with no luck.

I have a screenshot of what happens at the 10 minute mark, as well as the full capture of my 10 minute connection to the game for all of you to look at.

Please go to:

There, I have the image as well as a link to my full capture.

I hope I am not asking too much, I am just terribly lost with this issue, and I have ran out of ideas and I am to my wits end. Any help or suggestions or anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!