Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] question about bug 3303

Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 14:45:45 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Sake,

[..]

Just out of interest, will Wireshark support the decryption of sessions
that used DH to negotiate keys?

Since DH uses keys that are generated on the fly, Wireshark would need some keying material from either the client or the server for those sessions to make it possible. There is some work in Chrome/Firefox to be able to log that session information and an enhancement request for Wireshark to import it. However, you would need to have a custom compiled version of Chrome/Firefox to be able to decrypt DH based SSL sessions.

In short, yes, there will be more possibilities in the future, but not a general solution to be able to decrypt any SSL session that uses DH.

Hm. If this is the case, if I were a businessman, sooner or later I'd completely disable all non-DH based SSL cipher suites in my product and sell it with saying that it's so secure (as this is the reason for using SSL in the first place) that even packet captures can't be decrypted from it. In other words, based on what you've just explained do you think that SSL decryption will be long supported functionality of Wireshark or will it diminish in the future?

I'm just thinking theoretically here.

All the best,

Kolos